1. A company must have been trading for at least three consecutive years (and provide the last 3 years of accounts) .
2. It should employ more than one member of staff.
3. At least one staff member of the company should be a qualified translator.
4. A company must operate a system, or a combination of systems for checking the accuracy of work.
5. A company must agree to carry professional indemnity insurance* to a minimum to be determined by the Council.
6. A company must agree to abide by the Association's Professional Code of Conduct.
7. A company must pay all agreed levies of subscriptions within six months in order to retain membership status of whatever category.
8. A company must operate from an equipped office dedicated for the purpose.
9. Full membership status is open to responsible translation companies in the UK only
Associate membership status shall be confirmed on those applicants who do not meet all the requirements for full membership, but who are approved by the Council for this category of membership.
Associate membership is open to applicant companies based in the UK that have been in business for a minimum of 18 months. Full professional indemnity insurance is required (minimum of £100,000).
Membership as an Associate is conferred for a maximum of two full subscription years, after which the member must either migrate to full member status or leave the Association.