How to commission translation, interpretation and other language services
Commissioning a translation for the first time can be daunting. Whether for a translation, interpreting, voice-overs, sub-titling, conference management, direct mailing, executive language training or language consultancy, our ATC members are here to help you. Choosing the right company, however, can depend on a number of different factors and our Guide to Buying Translation Services is included in this section.
When purchasing translations, consider these questions:
- Will I be charged by the line or per 1,000 words translated?
- Are there any additional costs such as ‘rush’ charges or extra charges for non-European languages and technical subjects?
- Will the translator be translating into his or her own language?
- What method of checking is used?
- Does the translation company have compatible computer systems to yours?
- What other communications equipment is available?
- Are other services such as typesetting, interpreting, voice-overs and copy writing available?
- Does the translation company carry full professional indemnity insurance?
- Is the company a member of the Association of Translation Companies?